Author: acc945

The Evolution of Northwestern Medicine Magazine

This summer 2017 issue of Northwestern Medicine magazine has a new look, but it represents just the latest chapter in the medical school’s catalogue of magazines, which have been published off and on for 118 years. The first, University Medical School Quarterly Bulletin*, was published from 1899 to 1962 (with a break between 1912 and 1940) as both a scientific journal and a medium for medical school news. Ward Rounds A few versions of the magazine later, the first issue of the publication known today as Northwestern Medicine magazine was mailed to readers in the fall of 1984 under the name Ward Rounds. Fittingly, that issue’s first feature story covered anatomy professor Leslie B. Arey, MD, who researched and compiled the school’s history for its centennial in 1959 and updated it in 1979. When the story was published, Arey, who had joined the faculty in 1915, was 93 years old and still teaching. In 1991, Editor’s Workshop newsletter lauded the magazine, saying it “covers all the traditional alumni activities … but the layouts are so crisp and the writing so professional that it seems more like a professional magazine.” The black and white magazine became full color in fall 2004 and, in winter 2008-09, began to be simultaneously published online. (There was a short-lived effort to make every other issue online only, starting in fall 2010, but our alumni...

Read More

In Memoriam

Northwestern Medicine expresses its condolences to the families and friends of the following alumni (listed in order of their graduation year) and faculty who have recently passed away. ALUMNI John H. Sterne, ’43 MD, of Evansville, Ind., died April 13. Arthur F. Reimann, ’44 MS, ’45 MD, of Elmhurst, Ill., died March 23. Drew Miller, ’46 MD, of Rochester, Minn., died April 15. Jack Stuart “Stu” Pritchard, ’46 MD, of Philipsburg, Mont., died Feb 23.  William B. Fischer, ’47 MD, ’52 GME, of Fontana, Wis., died Feb. 28. Andreas Dahl, ’48 DDS, of Onalaska, Wis., died Jan. 3. Rolf...

Read More

Medical School Timeline

Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine was born in Chicago over 150 years ago. We’ve contributed greatly to medical discovery and education in that time, as well as contributed to the growth and change of the city we are proud to call home. Explore our history timeline and get to know some of our founders and groundbreakers here. This storied history starts with the chartering of Rush Medical College in 1837 and follows various affiliations and permutations until 1870, when Chicago Medical College signed the agreement to become Northwestern University’s Department of Medicine. Eventually that department would become a school in the university. During that period of time, one stalwart constant was Nathan Smith Davis, who assumed presidency of Chicago Medical College in 1866, became the first medical school dean in 1870 and led the school until 1899. The timeline follows the medical school’s growth and expansion through the 20th century, including campus development, the establishment of some of its most treasured traditions (e.g. Founders’ Day), important leadership transitions, and advancements and improvements to the educational requirements. As the Feinberg School of Medicine (renamed in honor of Reuben Feinberg in 2002) entered the 21st century, a new era of growth and renewed emphasis on research began. New affiliate hospitals and research buildings, as well as a renewed curriculum, have been highpoints in these years of evolution. Currently, the timeline...

Read More

Abbott Hall: Student Dormitory, Military Training Facility, Social Center

Did you live in Abbott Hall? Share your experiences with us in the discussion section below! Since its dedication in 1940, Northwestern’s Abbott Hall has served as housing for students and the military, research and administrative space, and a place for social gatherings. Located on the corner of Lake Shore Drive and Superior Street, Abbott Hall was originally designed as a dormitory for students, staff and faculty of the professional schools on the Chicago campus. Built at a cost of $1.75 million, the 20-story building was believed to be the tallest structure in the world used exclusively as a college dormitory. It was made possible by a gift from the Clara A. Abbott Foundation in honor of Dr. Wallace C. Abbott, founder of Abbott Laboratories, and his wife Clara. The Abbott Foundation gave the gift to the university for the purpose of advancing “medical, chemical and surgical sciences.” The building was constructed of Indiana limestone and designed by architect James Gamble Rogers to be similar to the “modified gothic” style he had used in a number of other buildings on the Evanston and Chicago campuses. It had a capacity of approximately 800 students in single and double occupancy rooms, as well as a few kitchenette apartments and penthouse suites. It also had four dining facilities, shops, a bowling alley, exercise rooms, a library and lounges on each residential floor. It...

Read More

The School of Pharmacy of Northwestern University (1886-1917)

The School of Pharmacy of Northwestern University opened its doors Oct. 1, 1886, was placed under the complete control of the University in 1891, changed facilities, underwent a number of curricular transitions, and graduated many students, until combining into the program at University of Illinois in June 1917. Though the duration of the program at Northwestern University was relatively brief, interest in the School of Pharmacy as a part of Northwestern University’s history remains to this day. Early Years The official initiative favoring the establishment of a school of pharmacy in connection with Northwestern University was taken by the executive committee of the board of trustees at its regular meeting in April 1886. A resolution was then adopted. This action was taken upon the motion of Dr. David R. Dyche, a member of the board of trustees of the University and of its executive committee, and a pharmacist in active business in Chicago. Conferences were held with other prominent pharmacists and with men of experience in pharmaceutical educational work. The result was the incorporation of a school called Illinois College of Pharmacy and at the annual meeting of the board of trustees in June, the school thus incorporated was, by agreement with the incorporators, formally adopted as a department of Northwestern University. The school opened its doors Oct. 1, 1886 in quarters formerly occupied by the Library of the...

Read More