Faculty Awards & Honors
Michael Abecassis, MD, MBA
Mercedes Carnethon, PhD
Erin Hsu, PhD
Wellington Hsu, MD
Four faculty were honored during the 14th annual Lewis Landsberg Research Day on April 5:
- Michael Abecassis, MD, MBA, the James Roscoe Miller Distinguished Professor of Medicine, founder and director of the Comprehensive Transplant Center, chief of Organ Transplantation in the Department of Surgery and professor of Microbiology-Immunology, received the Tripartite Legacy Faculty Prize in Translational Science and Education. [photo]
- Mercedes Carnethon, PhD, vice chair of Preventive Medicine, chief of Epidemiology in the Department of Preventive Medicine, received the 2018 Mentor of the Year Award from the Medical Faculty Council.
- Erin Hsu, PhD, research associate professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, and Wellington Hsu, MD, the Clifford C. Raisbeck, MD, Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and associate professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and Neurological Surgery were selected as co-recipients of the 2018 Mentor of the Year Award.
Neil Stone, MD, the Robert Bonow, MD, Professor, received the 2018 Joseph Stokes, III, MD Award from the American Society for Preventive Cardiology for his achievements in preventive cardiology. Since 1988, Stone has served on two National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute panels responsible for cholesterol guidelines that affect treatment for millions of Americans. In 2013, Stone chaired the American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association panel during the release of the most recent guidelines.
Neil Stone, MD
Karl Bilimoria, MD, ’08 MS, ’10 GME, the John B. Murphy Professor of Surgery and director of the Northwestern Surgical Outcomes and Quality Improvement Center (SOQIC), was elected president of the Association for Academic Surgery, the world’s largest organization of academic surgeons. His new role will be effective February 1, 2019.
Robert Murphy, MD, ’81, ’84 GME, director of the Center for Global Health and the John Philip Phair Professor of Infectious Diseases; Patrick Kiser, PhD, professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology; and Wendy Murray, PhD, professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy and Human Movement Sciences, were elected to the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering’s College of Fellows. These fellows comprise the top 2 percent of medical and biological engineers in the country.
William J. Gradishar, MD
William J. Gradishar, MD, the Betsy Bramsen Professor of Breast Oncology and director of the clinical network of the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, was appointed Feinberg’s chief of Hematology and Oncology in the Department of Medicine.
Janardan Reddy, MD, professor emeritus of Pathology, received the Gold-Headed Cane Award from the American Society for Investigative Pathology, for his leadership and long-term research in liver biology and pancreatic/hepatic differentiation.
Hank Seifert, PhD, the John E. Porter Professor of Biomedical Science in the Department of Microbiology-Immunology, received the 2018 Penn State Graduate School Alumni Society Lifetime Achievement Award.
Katherine Barsness, MD, ’11 MS
The following faculty have been invested into endowed professorships in 2018 to date:
- Jennifer Wu, PhD, professor of Urology and Microbiology-Immunology, as the Mary and Patrick Scanlan Professor
- Daniel Brat, MD, PhD, chair of Pathology, as the Magerstadt Professor of Pathology
- Ankit Bharat, MBBS, associate professor of Surgery in Thoracic Surgery and of Medicine in Pulmonary and Critical Care, as the Harold L. and Margaret N. Method Research Professor of Surgery
- Leena Sharma, MD, ’89 GME, professor of Medicine in Rheumatology, as the Chang-Lee Professor of Preventive Rheumatology
- Jason Albert Wertheim, MD, PhD, associate professor of Surgery in Organ Transplantation, as the Edward G. Elcock Professor of Surgical Research