Faculty Awards & Honors
Bruce Henschen, ’12 MD, ’12 MPH, ’15 GME
Eileen Bigio, MD
Michelle Birkett, PhD
Kathleen Green, PhD
Four faculty were recognized for outstanding teaching and mentorship during the sixth annual Honors Day on May 18:
- Donald McCrimmon, PhD, associate chair of Physiology and professor of Anesthesiology; Kristy Wolniak, MD, PhD, ’09, ’14 GME, assistant professor of Pathology; and Bruce Henschen, ’12 MD, ’12 MPH, ’15 GME, assistant professor of Medicine, each received the George H. Joost Teaching Award.
- Tod Chambers, PhD, associate professor of Medical Education and Medicine, received the Michael M. Ravitch Award.
Melissa Simon, MD, MPH, ’06 GME, the George H. Gardner Professor of Clinical Gynecology, vice chair for clinical research in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and professor of Preventive Medicine and Medical Social Sciences, received the Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring. The award is administered by the National Science Foundation on behalf of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy.
Susan Quaggin, MD, chief of Nephrology and Hypertension in the Department of Medicine and director of the Feinberg Cardiovascular and Renal Research Institute received the 13th annual Dorothy Ann and Clarence L. Ver Steeg Distinguished Research Fellowship Award.
Maciej (Matt) Lesniak, MD, chair of Neurological Surgery and the Michael J. Marchese Professor of Neurosurgery, and John Pandolfino, MD, ’97 GME, ’01 GME, ’05 MSCI, chief of Gastroenterology and Hepatology in the Department of Medicine and the Hans Popper Professor, were inducted into the American Society for Clinical Investigation.
The following faculty have been invested into endowed professorships:
- Babafemi Taiwo, MBBS, ’06 GME, chief of Infectious Diseases in the Department of Medicine, as the Gene Stollerman Professor of Medicine [photo]
- Jayesh Mehta, MD, and Seema Singhal, MD, professors of Medicine, as Chez Family Professors of Myeloma Research
- Estella Alonso, ‘85 MD, ‘88 GME, professor of Pediatricsand Medical Social Sciences, as the Sally Burnett Searle Professor of Pediatrics and Transplantation
Kathryn Hufmeyer, ’11 MD, ’14 GME, assistant professor of Medicine, and James Walter, MD, ’17 GME, instructor of Medicine, both received the 2018-2020 Augusta Webster Fellowship Award.
Brian Mustanski, ’99 PhD, director of the Institute for Sexual and Gender Minority Health and Wellbeing, and professor of Medical Social Sciences and of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, received the American Psychological Association Division 44 Award for Distinguished Contribution and Training in recognition of his work disseminating science and scholarship on LGBTQ issues.
Rosalind Ramsey-Goldman, MD, the Solovy/Arthritis Research Society Research Professor of Medicine, received the 2018 Paula H. Stern Award for Outstanding Women in Science and Medicine from the Northwestern Medical Women Faculty Organization.
Panagiotis Ntziachristos, PhD
Kathryn Hufmeyer, ’11 MD, ’14 GME
Babafemi Taiwo, MBBS, ’06 GME
Daniel Brat, MD, PhD, chair and the Magerstadt Professor of Pathology, and Eileen Bigio, MD, the Paul E. Steiner Research Professor of Pathology, were named president and vice president, respectively, of the American Association of Neuropathologists (AANP) for 2019-2020, marking the first time both leaders have come from the same institution in the 95-year history of the AANP.