1913 | Radiology Pioneer
James T. Case, MD, Builds Department
Northwestern’s Department of Radiology dates back to 1913, when James T. Case, MD, was appointed the medical school’s first professor and chair of the department, serving for more than 35 years (today, it is led by James Carr, MD, featured here). Widely recognized as one of the leading radiologists of the early 20th century, Case published more than 100 papers in medical journals and made significant contributions to the field, particularly in diagnostic radiology of the gastrointestinal tract. Many noted that Case’s insistence that radiology departments be a separate and distinct entity set a precedent, with many medical schools nationwide later following suit.
Image courtesy of Galter Health Sciences Library & Learning Center, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine