Faculty Awards & Honors
- Muriel Jean-Jacques, MD, associate vice chair for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Department of Medicine, was presented with the award for Advocacy and Community Service.
- Bruce Henschen, MD, was presented with the award for Excellence in Clinical Education.
- Anne F. Schultz, ’97 MD, ’00 GME, was presented with the Leader in General Internal Medicine Award.
Shi-Yuan Cheng, PhD, professor in The Ken and Ruth Davee Department of Neurology in the Division of Neuro-oncology, has been named a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science for his outstanding contributions in molecular and translational cancer research.
elect of the Illinois State Medical Society (ISMS), the largest professional organization in the state representing more than 10,000 Illinois-based physicians. Thomas will assume his new role as president of ISMS in April 2021.
Alexis Thompson, MD, MPH, section chief of Hematology in the Department of Pediatrics, received the Distinguished Alumni Award from National Medical Fellowships, a non-profit organization that provides scholarships and other support for underrepresented minority students in medicine and health professions.
Mary McBride, MD, MEd, associate professor of Pediatrics and of Medical Education, was named director of the Feinberg Academy of Medical Educators. McBride succeeds Walter Eppich, MD, PhD, professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Emergency Medicine, who has led FAME for three years.
Sadiya Khan, MD, MSc, assistant professor of Medicine in the Division of Cardiology and of Preventive Medicine in the Division of Epidemiology, was recognized by the American Heart Association for her study defining epidemiologic trends in pre-pregnancy hypertension between 2007–2018. Her study — which highlights the near-doubling in hypertension rates that may potentially be fueling high U.S. maternal mortality rates — was selected as one of the most impactful papers in heart disease.
Susan Quaggin, MD, director, of the Feinberg Cardiovascular and Renal Research Institute, chief of Nephrology and Hypertension in the Department of Medicine, and the Charles H. Mayo, MD, Professor of Medicine in the Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, was named president of the American Society of Nephrology, effective January 1, 2021.
Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker appointed two Feinberg faculty to serve on the Illinois Adult Use Cannabis Health Advisory Committee:
- John Franklin, MD, MSc, ’15 MA, , associate dean for Diversity, Inclusion and Student Support, chief of Addictions and interim chair of the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences.
- LaTasha Nelson, MD, ’08 MS, GME, associate professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology in the Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine.
Thomas Meade, PhD, the Eileen M. Foell Professor of Cancer Research and professor of Radiology, was awarded the World Molecular Imaging Society’s highest honor, the 2020 Gold Medal Award. He was recognized for his pioneering work in the fields of magnetic resonance and optical molecular imaging.
Susan Goldsmith, MD, ’08 GME, assistant professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology in the Division of General Obstetrics and Gynecology, has been appointed associate dean for student affairs.