Two Feinberg faculty members in the Department of Medical Education have been honored with 2020 awards from the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC):
- Patricia Garcia, MD, MPH, ’91 GME, associate dean for curriculum and professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology in the Division of Maternal Fetal Medicine and of Medical Education, has been selected as the 2020 recipient of the AAMC Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Award.
- Marianne Green, MD, was selected as one of four winners of the Alpha Omega Alpha Robert J. Glaser Distinguished Teacher Award.
Two Feinberg faculty members were named on the Illinois Science & Technology Coalition’s third annual list of “Researchers to Know” at Illinois universities:
- Sarki Abdulkadir, MD, PhD, vice chair for Research in the Department of Urology, the John T. Grayhack, MD, Professor of Urological Research, and professor of Urology and Pathology, under the category “Preventing Disease”
- Karla Satchell, PhD, professor of Microbiology-Immunology, under the category “COVID-19 Response”
William Grobman, MD, ’00 GME, MBA, vice chair for Clinical Operations in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the Arthur Hale Curtis, MD, Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, was elected to the National Academy of Medicine.
Guillermo Oliver, PhD, director of the Center for Vascular and Developmental Biology in the Feinberg Cardiovascular and Renal Research Institute and professor of Medicine in the Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, was elected to the Latin America Academy of Sciences.
Gabriel Rocklin, PhD, associate professor of Pharmocolgy, received a National Institutes of Health (NIH) Director’s New Innovator Award from the NIH Common Fund’s High-Risk, High-Reward Research program.
Sheetal Kircher, MD, ’11 GME, associate professor of Medicine in the Division of Hematology and Oncology and medical director of the Cancer Survivorship Institute at the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, was named an Advocacy Champion by the Association for Clinical Oncology.
Benjamin Singer, ’07 MD, ’10 GME, assistant professor of Medicine in the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, and of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, was the recipient of the 2020 American Thoracic Society’s Assembly on Respiratory Cell & Molecular Biology Carol B. Basbaum Award.
Samuel Stupp, ’77 PhD, the Board of Trustees Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, Medicine and Biomedical Engineering, and the director of the Simpson Querrey Institute, and Mark Hersam, PhD, professor of Medicine in the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, were ranked among the world’s most-cited researchers, according to the 2019 list released by the Web of Science Group within Clarivate Analytics. Their names were mistakenly omitted in the Spring/Summer print edition of this magazine. We apologize for our error.
D. James Surmeier, PhD, chair and the Nathan Smith Davis Professor of Physiology, has received, for the second time, the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke’s Javits Neuroscience Investigator Award.
Jane Winter, MD, ’82 GME, professor of Medicine in the Division of Hematology/Oncology, was named the recipient of this year’s Paula H. Stern Award for Outstanding Women in Science and Medicine. The following faculty members were on Crain’s Chicago Business’s list of 2020 Notable Health Care Heroes for their work during the height of COVID-19 (along with the teams on the 12th floor at Feinberg Pavilion and the COVID Care Unit at Shirley Ryan AbilityLab).
- Melissa Simon, MD, ’06 GME, MPH, vice chair for research in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology and of Medical Social Sciences
- Larry Kociolek, MD, ’14 GME, assistant professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Infectious Diseases
- David Zich, MD, Health system clinician in the Department of Emergency Medicine
Molly Beestrum, MLIS, education and curriculum coordinator for the Galter Health Sciences Library and Learning Center, has been named Illinois Academic Librarian of the Year by the Illinois Library Association (ILA).